Health & Safety
We believe opera is for everyone. North Carolina Opera is committed to ensuring a safe and comfortable environment for all people to enjoy our events and programs.
When participating in an event or program with North Carolina Opera, you agree to follow all health and safety guidelines in place at the time and location of the event.
NC Opera Events at Martin Marietta Center for the Performing Arts
The majority of our ticketed events take place at the Martin Marietta Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Raleigh, which has the following requirements in place:
- MAGNETOMETERS Guests will enter the building and be guided through a security screening, which includes emptying pockets and passing through a metal detector.
- BAG SIZE RESTRICTIONS All bags are subject to search and must meet size requirements. No bags larger than 12″ x 12″ x 10″ will be allowed. This includes backpacks, camera bags, and oversized purses. A small clutch or wallet is recommended for your visit, and clear bags are preferred.
- PROHIBITED ITEMS Guests will be required to dispose of or return to their vehicle to secure any prohibited items.
- Weapons of any kind
- Liquor, food, or beverages
- Backpacks and backpack style purses, camera bags, oversized purses
- Chemical weapons such as mace or pepper spray
- Professional grade cameras with detachable lenses or laser pointers
- Professional grade audio / video recording devices
- Any additional items (as determined by security personnel) that could potentially cause harm
- FACE COVERINGS At this time the City of Raleigh does not require masks at indoor or outdoor events. Patrons may choose to wear masks which cover the nose and mouth while inside the venue and in close proximity with others.
- TOUCHLESS TICKET SCANNING Touchless payment options are encouraged at the Box Office. Tickets will be contact-free, with guests receiving digital tickets in most cases.
- GBAC STAR The Martin Marietta Center for the Performing Arts holds the Global Biorisk Advisory Council’s GBAC STAR™ Accreditation, the cleaning industry’s only outbreak prevention, response, and recovery accreditation.
- Hand sanitizer stations are available throughout the venues.
- All high-touch areas are cleaned frequently throughout the day. Cleaning includes the use of electrostatic sprayers.
- The HVAC systems meet CDC guidelines for filtration of the COVID virus, and all air filters are MERV 13 or higher.